Wednesday 27 February 2008

Hobz Malti

I sat in the car ...I had no kids with me Rockstar was dropped off early Mini Minx already with mother dearest but here I was outside the school on my own in the car awaiting ..we'd made contact via e-mail and the drop off was going to be made here and now. Other parents were busy trying to get their children to school ....I was busy looking for my fellow Maltese' s car. You see only Maltese or persons associated with the islands will understand what this little package I was about to receive meant. I felt awkward parents were walking past....why was he sitting there ? where are his children? These questions paled into significance...i saw the black car on the horizon ....soon i would be holding it. Although it was a brisk February morning the sun reflected off the highly polished car as it approached slowing in readiness for the the meet to take place, I felt a bead of sweat dripping off my forehead ....I stepped out of my car and the black estate car slowed down ...The driver's window slid down revealing my Maltese compatriot Agent S at the car's wheel......."It's in the back" she said as i swerved around the car which was now firmly blocking the road like a century stopping any car driving in or out and trying to stop this most important of moments. I dived into the boot and there it was.......the white plastic bag containing my booty....I closed the boot and thanked Agent S ...she sped off to deliver the kids to school and I sped off in the opposite direction at the traffic lights I opened the bag and smelt the familiar smell I yearned for. I reached home realising I had no time to spare ......I opened it up on the kitchen side got the sharpest bladed knife I could and started to cut it.........It was frozen ..........by the evening it would be thawed and ready to devour...but I had to have my fix now!!!! Hobz Malti (or Maltese bread) is a crusty round type of bread found only in Malta (kind of a coincidence really as it is called Maltese bread!!!!!)

I hadn't tasted it since last summer ....I was going to make an egg sarny..so I stuck the two slices in the toaster (for defrosting reasons) ..I find it's easier on the teeth.....and within 12 minutes of receiving the two loaves there sitting in front of me was an egg sarny made with hobz Malti. I closed my eyes...The sun was coming into the kitchen I took a bite and I could of been back in my Zija Jess's (aunty) kitchen in Malta....it was truelly a marvelous moment......sorry but you just might not understand if you haven't had it. Needless to say hobz biz-zejt (bread with tomato puree and oil ) was made in abundance after rehearsals that night.

Kultural Karma is taking shape now Spaceboy has added his planky spanky bit and his vocals and with a bit of practice me finks kultural Karma will be a popular song amongst our fans .....in fact I think both of them will like it!

Talking of anoraks......yes I was......you just weren't paying attention........our intrepid front man Spaceboy is off on pilgrimage this weekend........where to? I hear you all ask......Liverpool.....yes that place up in the North West that all famous scousers harp on about yet strangely enough don't live there anymore....wonder why? Anyway he is going on a Beatles pilgrimage with his other band ...aptly named ...The Beetles....he's keeping quite quiet about the itinery but I'd imagine it will involve upsetting some poor scouse residents who cursed the day they bought the house that a Beatle was either born ,lived or farted in as Spaceboy and the other Beetles plant their noses on the windows of their front rooms. As if learning that our drummer Barabanshik was into role play and dressing up with Mrs Barabanshik wasn't enough.....Spaceboy will be dressing up in Beatles outfits with other blokes and acting out his Beatles fantasies............hmmm .....now wifey and I are no strangers to brightly coloured satin flared trousers ....but they were coupled with nice leather boxing gloves and kick pads and were worn in the name of combat in the fine art of kickboxing.......but dressing up as Sgt Pepper's lonely heart club band and sniffing Macca's underpants is just not normal......!

No comments:

Post a Comment