Tuesday 19 June 2007

Cooking on gas!

So in they walk, instruments in hand ...the first was a drummer from the Internet.... Contacted three days before ...too good to be true I thought on the phone ...played professionally for a bit lives local wants commitment kind of more our own age...(sounds like an advert in a dating agency Dunnit!)
He looks like a, clean cut polite bloke I thought, as this cheerful friendly chap from Armenia shakes my hand and soon after he is bringing a lovely silver and black Pearl EXR set of drums complete with a Yamaha snare which he informs me costs more than the rest of his entire kit?!!!! He is busy setting up when the large figure of the singer comes in ...shaved head deep voiced I wondered if he was going to hit me with the outstretched hand which eventually shook mine...I'd known this lad from work,. be it another department ...we have kind of acknowledged each other but little else ...twas a chance meeting in the works canteen which lead us to talking about music and his talents over some pasta which was severely lacking in the straining department the sauce of which was floating at the top in bitter protest at being swamped by the offending pasta water!!! par for the course in that canteen may I add. Dressed in a stripy t-shirt for rehearsals he was dressed reminiscent of an Edwardian Seaman....he was later to be nicknamed by the Fraggle (viewing the nights proceedings on video) as Pug wash. So Pug wash starts setting up his mic and introducing himself to the rest of the band....
We had another visitor that night ....As you know Diddler and his Linda are off to see Genesis on the 30th ,the day of the big Fete.....so I was actively trying to recruit a replacement for the Diddler which was to be no mean feat and considering only four days earlier I was sat head in hands programming a drum machine wondering how we had come full circle from being just Wifey and I .....to having 5 in the band..... back to being just wifey and I for the Fete. It just so happens that sat in the same chair were Linda told me about her husband who can play a bit of guitar (Diddler) I spoke with a colleague who just happened to pop into the office ...she reminded me her eighteen year old son could play guitar......oh yes how could I forget....you see I am a proud parent and I am not criticizing her in the slightest as I will probably be just the same when mine reach that age but she told me about her son ...he's tall handsome, a guitar hero .....sings like an angel all the girls fancy him ....good at school .......was a great cook and was actually cooking the dinner that night.......It was at that point that I asked if he could walk on water too.....which was met with the answer it deserved....so I invited the Holy one down for rehearsals...now I was expecting something special after his mum had bigged him up.....she wasn't lying the lad was very polite tall and all that but can he play the guitar?..........do bears Shit in the woods? Is the Pope Catholic,,?.....,does Mother Dearest eat Mushroom sandwiches for breakfast....? So the lad was waiting patiently to unleash his Fender Strat on us ....the drummer was poised cheerfully sticks in hand and Pug wash was growling at his mic ......I thought he was going to snap it off and eat it !
So Diddler strapped on his red Epiphone Wifey belted out the first riff of into the deep on her new ESP and I kicked in with Freddy (ok ok I named my bass Freddy...I have issues...don't we all ?) then this quietly spoken cheerful chap snapped into action with graceful swishing of his drumsticks he cracked out a rock steady beat....complete with fills and spills We all had great smiles on our faces ...this sounded so right. one by one he took each of our songs and dragged them kicking and screaming into some kind of resemblance of what they should be coupled with Pug wash's vocals we was cooking ...the lad played really well too and to be honest it was probably the best night we had so far since we began our quest into the weird and wonderful world of Hot Machero.
Then the question to each....will you be back? ................the answer was a yes ..Hot Machero are 5 again ...oh and a very talented reserve!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment