Tuesday 31 July 2007

Emilio,Ashley and the Slap head bongos

It was the aftermath of a showery summer's night. It was the second hour of a new day...home counties England was fast asleep, all was quiet ....the birds in the trees still, heads tucked into their wings. Stray cats had found a comfortable spot to rest........ dogs safely lying in their baskets snoozing away like their owners . The silence is broken momentarily by a slow car being driven along an empty road headlights lighting up the pavement and lamp post as it's engine noise disappears into the distance like a rhythmic drone of a diggary doo (Scooby's cousin) taking it's light with it returning the cul de sac where we live into the quiet, peaceful place it is at 0200 hours (and what's the O stand for?....yes O my god it's early!!!!!).

I was asleep, my mind still active with the memory of the day just been ...Wifey had been playing "a song for Guy" the Elton John's classic on her acoustic guitar and I had grabbed my Bongos from the side and started beating out a beat to compliment the song .......I felt a smile draw to my face as I lay there the cool breeze coming in from the window .........I must have drifted back off to sleep as the next thing I know my head is being pounded by the flats of Wifey's hands l now know what my Bongos must feel like when they are being pounded by my own hands I woke up and said Oyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! which was met with Wifey apologising profusely swearing she had just woken up herself and didn't have a clue what she was doing..(likely story!!!!) funnily enough Diddler's Linda uses that ploy to smack poor Didd's in his sleep when he snores.... so she coughed to me when I recalled the incident at work.....At the time Wifey and I both burst out laughing as the thought of Wifey in her night dress in the middle of the night happily slapping out a bongo beat on my follically challenged head was somewhat amusing.

But not as much as phoning the legend that is Chippy and pretending to be the world famous Argentine polo player Emilio Sanchez...just arrived in England and asking his local carpenter in a broad Spanish accent for a scale model of a horse to practice his swing in his front room in Ascot...Chippy was very polite and I could detect that he was actually working out in his head how he was going to do this....I ...well ......Emilio explained that as long as the saddle bit was sculptured the rest could be box shaped. It was only after taking details of name address and availability to come and see Emilio that I revealed it was actually me...his actual reply was "You B&stard!"................................... that'll teach him to leave it so long!

Back to the band.....been learning the new songs "let's dance and let's twist again " but Sunday a quick trip to Guildford brought Christmas to me early!!!!
You see Barabanshik is having trouble hearing me (hey those that know me know that is no mean feat.... not hearing me!) but Ba-rah-rahboomdiyayshik suggested taking me out of the mixer ...something wifey has been saying for a while now ....Mother dearest had the same trouble with me when she used to make cakes when I was a kid....well everyone likes lickerssssssss!( a tradition now passed on to my children with the cake mix.) Any way back to the plot (yes there usually is a structure to my blogs!!! you don't think I just throw these masterpieces together do you?) So off we trotted to Guildford to Andertons Music shop who had for sale the Ashdown Electric Blue Bass combo amp for £50 cheaper than anyone else. I came away with my beast loaded in the car ....180 watts and 15 inches of speakers ready to unleash on Hot Machero ........Ashley ...(yes I've named my amp Ashley...and?) is sitting proudly with Freddy and Dean, my basses ....Mandaric the Mandolin is feeling a bit abandoned especially since Bill and Ben the bongos have arrived .......any way must dash the men in white coats are at the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment