Saturday 16 August 2008

On our way home?

So here I sit oh dear reader in my t-shirt and shorts contemplating the last two weeks whilst clock watching as in the small ours we are homeward bound. Home ....funny word really. England is my current home...Malta is also ..my home except it has changed a bit since I lived here 15 years ago.
I have come to the conclusion that indeed the Maltese Highways agency have been on a 15 year shut down......I'm sure the roads are just as pot hole ridden as when I left and there are some stop lines that have not been painted since then too. Actually I'll correct myself here. They must have come back to work (Highways agency that is) for a week during the last year with a cheap stock load of no entry signs. I used to know the island like the back of my hand and I still do except that someone has made the whole island one way ...usually the wrong way from where I'm going....

Some things do however remain the same....silly signs...we've read "Chicken Dramsicks with chips 3 Euros" and "Mdina assworks" on a front of a glass blower's truck. For me however the best sign was at a shoe shop...."buy one get the second free" shit! that's jolly decent of them to let you have a pair!!!
Malta is a wonderful place(Pompey think so too ... I managed to secure the Air Malta sponsor whilst out here)
Family are wonderful and my Auntie Jessie and Uncle Giuzzi (more about him in a bit) have been wonderful Mini minx had her birthday whilst out here and they through the most wonderful party for her.....Wifey and I are have definitely put on weight with the fantastic food we have eaten.
We met with the Maltese composer and founder of the folk band Nafra, Ruben Zahra again. What a very knowledgeable Man he is and a real decent bloke he gave ...as promised a Zummara to wifey (a primitive Maltese reed instrument) look out for this strange little instrument in future Spriggan Mist songs. We also caught a glimpse of 60s Maltese music icon Freddie Portelli singing at Marsaskala....
As for the waist line ? well my Uncle Giuzzi is 70 he runs half marathons...he is an inspiration Wifey and I are going to run a half marathon on March 1st.....more details in the forthcoming blogs.
So i've just checked the weather forcast in blighty.....21 degrees and rainy....deep joy...back to work on Monday ...groan. so as I look out of my Aunty's kitchen window for the last time and look at the hazy Maltese skyline with little twinkly street lights dotted around and the flashes of distant fireworks from one of the village festas in full swing I ask myself .......exactly why is Freddie Portelli so popular still ?

No comments:

Post a Comment