Wednesday 28 February 2007

The wait is over

I awoke in my usual semi Neanderthal man state at stupid o’clock yesterday morning. My little girl had a serious miss cue with her early morning wee... in football terms it hit the woodwork and trickled out for a corner. Unfortunately I stood straight in it with my bare feet. As I enjoyed the first moments of a brand new day cleaning wee ...my thoughts first went to ... “am I at work today?” then “what day is it?” and “Who am I?“ Then it hit me like a cold wet kipper slapped around the chops!!!
It’s the 26th of February !!!It’s the 26th of February!!!! February 26th ...the 26th day of February!!!!
The children were fed watered and dressed in record time...I dropped My 5 year old Rocker to school ignoring his protests of “But Daddy there’s no one here ? I’m too early” ...”Rubbish son it shows your keen” I raced back to the car, my little girl firmly tucked underarm like a rugby ball in the hands of Jona Lomu hurtling towards the line, firmly knocking over the earliest of Teachers turning up at school in my haste to get back to the car. The car!.....this morning it was thunderbird 1. Screaming into Tesco’s car park, Thunderbird 1 expertly parked in the parent and child spot...I hurry into the shop....ahhhhhh !!!! parent and child spot...better bring the child in with me. Making my apologies and bribes for her not to tell Mummy if I buy her some choccy buttons. I try to explain to a bewildered 2 year old the significance of the 26th of February 2007. She chuckles at me as if to say “Dad you have finally said goodbye to the very loose grip on reality you had, haven‘t you ?”
Second isle after the magazines I know it will be there with my name on it. My heart is beating as my eyes scan the display, there it is .....Kaiser chiefs new CD Yours truely angry mob.
Fed up of me sulking and moping around the house dropping subtle hints like “I am gutted we didn’t get tickets for the Kaisers gig” Wifey battled it out with other bidders on ebay to win us two tickets to see the them this Sunday at Shepherds Bush Empire......now I had their second album in my grasp.....I felt like Gollam. My precioussssss There were only a few copies left! What if the Warfield Massif were to turn up and try to get my copy. I did the one handed two year old little girl scoop again and marched off to the till point proudly paid for my booty and went home and played it over and over again.
This morning as I drove to work at even more stupid o’clock than yesterday the Kaisers were pumping on the car stereo. The car had returned back to it’s former glory ........losing the thunderbird status which was a relief as I was getting weird looks counting down from 5 to 1 to pull out of car parks and acknowledging rare London motorist Courtesy with a loud “F.A.B.!” I arrive at work saddened by the fact that It would be another 9 hours til I heard the album on the way home. couldn’t possibly play it in the office ...a sudden outbreak of morale would be stamped on immediately.
Good news! SJ tells me her friend Dominic ( yes contrary to popular belief she has one.) can play the drums and she reckons he’s pretty good. He has no drums though ..but might be able to borrow a set of electronic ones . I ask SJ if they sound like “booof boof powwwwwwww!” she replies “no more like Bishhht bissssssssssht paaaaaaaanggggg” “oh so that’s ok then” I reply thinking that the last ten seconds sounded like a dated black and white Monty Python scene. I finish my conversation hanging to the thought of Hot Machero becoming a quartet. Better still him being younger than SJ the average age of the band will plummet into the 20s.

No comments:

Post a Comment