Tuesday 24 April 2007

Eric the Red is in the building

I was down, we all were. Chippy was no more. How we missed his chirpy little smile and that kind of vague look he had on his face.... as if ....as if he really didn't know what he was doing this was mainly because ............he didn't know what he was doing!!!!! But we missed him...... although the band was in it's infancy a bond had been forged in that Church loft ...he was and will always be ...a Hot Machero.
At the height of my downess (that sounds strange dunnit) at the height of my downess....I was sat at work at my desk lamenting about the state of the band when Road runner peered around her computer and casually dropped into conversation " My husband plays a bit of guitar" My initial excitement was slapped down when she told me he didn't have a leccy guitar. None the less I invited him down for a little jam (we had no marmalade) He begged borrowed and stole a sunburst Squier Strat and a little Peavey practice amp complete with lead (I find they work better with leads) I'd asked Road runner what her hubby was like and the tall dark and handsome reply wasn't the answer I was after . My enthusiasm was stamped on again when she told me he was seven years older than Chippy (there goes the average age through the roof then!!!) He is a scouser and a Liverpool supporter at that.......groan ......best we do some eighties covers if he is going to wear a shell suit! Stereo types aren't nice ...I checked myself .......I also checked the wheel nut locks on my car .........didn't want to be on bricks now did I!!!
So Monday arrived and I'm looking forward to meeting Eric the Red....(no he's not a Viking......work it out for yourself) Then SJ rings and drops another bombshell ( nothing to do with her well-documented flatulence problem)..............But Dom da drummer had broken his thumb playing football and might be out for up to 8 weeks...........After enquiring into the feasibility of strapping a stick to his head like a dalek eye. I succumbed to the fact .....we were without drummer.
So Roadrunner and Eric the Red arrive and he is soon spanking plank. We were without Dom da Drummer so the band sounded a bit disjointed but ol'Red strummed away and between songs treated us to some solo strumming and singing.......dis guy's goooood! I thought and at the end of "hand in my pocket "we even managed an impromptu little jam....SJ by her own admission has had better nights but it didn't help we were a little at sorts without our drum basher. She later said that singing in front of an audience (Road runner ...!!!?!!?!) was good as she did feel shy. With the risk of nicknaming her Orville I told her that we would get a paper bag and put it over her head at gigs (SJ's head that is not Roadrunner's). Eric the Red agreed to come back. which for Hot Machero is a right result and we know he is going to be an asset to the band.
This morning I was reporting back to Mr T at work what a find Ol'Red was and he looked at me with genuine concern and said "what about Chippy?" I looked straight back at him and said "Chippy, whose Chippy?" Now bearing in mind Mr T's only connection with Chippy is reading about him on this blog the following comments were nothing short of incredible..."You can't say that about poor old Chippy ...that's not nice........" I pointed out that the music business was cut throat and it's about now! but it didn't matter Mr T was upset.....Chippy has got a cult following........
Good news though about Dom who tonight has told me that he reckons he will be back drumming next week. I'm an eastern block Monkey" he drawled down the phone ....safe! and there is talk a keyboard player might be joining the ranks by the name of Big Tim ...watch this space.........

No comments:

Post a Comment