Thursday 10 May 2007

Copa Cabana

Monday night came and went......the next morning I was the first into the office and our 11 songs were ringing in my ears. Monday's rehearsals went well SJ sang the best she has sung to date and the band is coming together nicely. Wifey has included the Saxophone on two of our songs now and as old Red has taken on a lot more of the six string duties she is busy learning some more intricate guitar riffs and a mouth organ solo .......as well as holding down a full time job ... being a mum of three ....(if you include the dog) and a wifey to me.........who said super heroes are old hat.???
As usual the nice T man was the next in closely followed by the Road runner who has turned into our head groupie loyally sitting listening offering feedback lugging and generally doing groupie type things. Old Eric the Red calls her his "Linda.". as in Mc Cartney not Barker cos that would be a nightmare wouldn't it having your front room made over on a weekly basis.
Talking of nightmares my boss “Cruella De Ville” on hearing Roadrunner and I carefully dissecting the previous nights rehearsal note by note (it's far more important than work anyway!) peered over her computer........"Did you say Lola?" she said in her well-spoken manner...with this she jumped up and gave us a rendition of Barry Manilow's Copa CabaƱa...(those struggling for the link....the song is about a showgirl called Lola...."Her name was Lola she was a show girl etc etc etc....") With this she floated out of the room ....informing us that she had a tape in her car with it on. She grabbed a carrot and floated outside (you see when she walks Cruella’s head doesn't go up and down....she kind of glides along the floor) Mr T ,Road runner and I watched as she glided into the car park carrot in hand busily chomping at it went to her car and rummaged around her glove compartment and came back brandishing this cassette. floated back up and inserted the tape into an old player sat mostly dormant in the corner of the room. Out it bellowed Manilow live! "you want to do this Lola" she cheerfully said ...I had visions of Ol'Red and SJ camping it up big style..........belting out a bit of Manilow. For one insane moment I actually listened to the bass line and was trying to kind of work it out . I checked myself before the thought progressed into anything more serious, any way none of us have got a big enough nose.
It is official !!!my birthday Jam party is to be held on the 9th of June 2007 at the Boot pub in Bracknell. This is where the Hot Machero make their debut! It’s looking most likely that Diddly Skwat are going to play too. This should be a good night. I can’t wait although I must say there is a degree of nerves creeping in now.
Can I count on you all on Saturday to do the right thing? Yes it’s Eurovision night...I know it is crap but the Maltese bit in me just can’t help but watch it. Malta will fall silent holding it’s breath to see if Olivia can bring the trophy home to Malta with her song Vertigo.
How SJ and I laughed the other day watching the video of UK‘s entrants. Skootch. What a pile of poo! a disgrace to be representing the UK . The song is sad but quite Eurovisiony but what with the trolley dolly outfits complete with trollies and with innuendos thrown in throughout the whole song....nope I think it will be a big fat nil point this year. As SJ says like a multi storey car park.....wrong on so many levels........Viva Malta!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment