Saturday 19 May 2007

Hammers,Celery and OMD

She opened the door ....................I expected to see a granny standing there with a flour puffed pinny having made some nice cakes and kindly face waiting to greet her son and granddaughter.........to my horror mother dearest was stood there with a hammer a loft above her head grimacing like a screaming banshee!!!!!....put the hammer down...I shouted ..Step away from the hammer!!!! she explained she was knocking down carpet tacks !!!!!!!!!!?
Yesterday was Friday hurrah!!!!!!! I was having a full weekend off for the first time in three weeks. I got a couple of phone calls at work...SJ enquiring about today’s sleepover. It’s quite cute in a way going to auntie and uncles for a sleepover...........there will however not be biccies and hot chocolate and an early bedtime at this sleepover ....it will be .beer...rock....beer.....rock..beer.......bock..................reer.........rob....................ror...................brock......rrrrrr............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
The other phone call which was a more cheerful Dom excited about “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” and “don’t you forget about me “ As we conversed I innocently told Dom “sorry mate but Roadrunner is doing something weird with a stick of celery” Dom retorted that he didn’t think he wanted to know..........and laughed like a hyena. but she was ....she was holding a stick of celery over the bin.....and was pouring Caesar dressing onto it and letting it drip down into the bin..........what was all that about!!!?!?!?!?!? Must be a northern thing....celery dripping !!!!
OMD-Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark were really good. I actually forgot how many good songs they had. The average age of the crowd must have been about 45 and it was quite fun to see middle aged people dancing like they were in 1981. It reminded me of an Eddy Murphy sketch where he commented on how white dudes can’t dance. It was like going back in time and whilst Andy McClusky bounced around the stage like he did in his hey day, Paul Humphreys played his synthesiser with one hand throughout the gig the drummer worked overtime re creating some of those drum machine like early 80s beats. I really enjoyed it ...but I can’t help thinking I’ve moved on .....I like my music ladened with guitar and bass these days. McClusky did hold a bass and pick at the strings every so often in repetitive steady bass lines. (hand on heart...I could have played with them last night easily) OMDs success I feel has come from that clean simple sound. If you were around in the early 80s I would recommend you see them they are well worth seeing. Thought it quite funny though when a pair of knickers were thrown onto the stage and McClusky held them up and said “hmmm they used to be tiny ................these days they look like parachutes !”

No comments:

Post a Comment