Tuesday 27 March 2007

Stiff as a Board

So here I am at my work desk working late. the only one in the office left. James Brown is keeping me company (no i'm not a budding Derek Acorah........he's on on my CD player) I'm digging some really deep grooves laid down by the likes of Bootsy Collins and James Jamerson. Only 24 hours prior I was laying down some grooves of my own with Hot Machero. The rehearsal was upon us again. SJ is still with the Moose-man in Chicago but the rest of us here in good old Blighty esembled at the Church. I opted to be SJ! minus the voice, the hair,and obvious gender and age differences....I giggled a lot though to get into role.
We were going to start with Good riddance time of your life by Green Day but Chippy forgot his music?!?!?!???!! and given that he only got it via e-mail the night before he was forgiven for not knowing it of by heart.
Sing by travis was the next song to get the Hot Machero treatment. For the first five minutes Chippy looked stiffer than a piece of his wood that he so skillfully works with. (Chippy took exception to the fact we said he made his carpentry up as he goes in the last blog ...........tart!). As he got into the session he relaxed and sing started to sound half decent The Hot Machero sound was forming. Wifey's tinkling guitar and Chippys rythmic strumming on sing sounded good.
Next up was Kula Shaker's Into the deep. This really went well and Dominic and i had fun experimenting with the overblown drum beat and Bass that comes in at the begining and after wifey's guitar solo. On the last run through Dominic and I were on fire and we were holding down a real tight bass line. I got so carried away by the sound of it that I completely forgot about our two other guitarists who were now half way through the first verse!. We started again and although there is work to do round the bridge and ending it is sounding good.
Sitting on the dock of the bay-by Otis Redding is where I was blown out of the water by the guitarists with far superior amps. After re adjusting the balance so I could be heard it sounded good.
The Church gate keeper came and turfed us out dead on the hour and we left enthused. Chippy phoned this morning sounding like Joe Cocker as he was coming down with a cold. He expressed how much fun he had, as he had never played with anyone before and if that wasn't bad enough he stated he was going off to do some samples !!???
He text me later stating "I've got a new girlfriend. Her name is Laney.....her vitals are 12inch X 120W...........and it's love" I am going to have no hope am I?

No comments:

Post a Comment